Automating rubber-tyred gantry crane (RTG) operations with vision technology increases operational efficiency, safety, and control in container handling. Visy’s OCR applications for RTG cranes automatically recognize the container ID (with Visy TopView spreader cameras) and verify that the right container is being lifted. The system also prevents accidents by detecting lifting events where twistlocks have been mistakenly left attached to the container. Visy’s OCR applications enhance the utilization of automation in RTG cranes, and interfacing with the terminal operating system (TOS) eases tracking of containers in real time, enables exception handling, and eliminates false lifts.
Value-adding recognition features to improve the efficiency of RTG operations
Every Visy RTG OCR solution is built with the customer’s needs in mind using OCR features that complement their terminal operations the best. If the customer is looking for a solution to better utilize automation in RTG cranes, the system is equipped with features that automatically recognize the container ID (Visy TopView) and match the container with the vehicle (truck/terminal tractor). In a case where preventing accidents due to twistlocks mistakenly left attached is the customer’s concern, the system is built with OCR cameras and illuminators to provide a real-time tool which gives alerts when locks are detected. Regardless of the need and the range of features, the system executes all recognition tasks in parallel and exchanges the captured data with the TOS. Together, the recognitions and data exchange increase the transparency of container handling operations, improve KPIs such as lifts per hour, and amplify the benefits of Visy’s OCR applications.
RTG OCR Features
• Container ID recognition with Visy TopView spreader OCR
• Imaging container long sides with PTZ or fixed cameras depending on the use case
• ISO code and IMO label recognition if long side imaging is one of the selected features
• Terminal tractor number recognition
• Real-time detection of twistlocks
• Extensive data exchange and interfacing with third-party systems (TOS, PLC, CCS)
• Robust equipment to match the environment
• Supports both new crane deliveries and retrofits with various connectivity option
• Improves KPIs such as lifts per hour